When it comes to plumbing, the truth is that something or the other will inevitably go wrong with it at some point of time and when it does, it will take you by surprise and send you into a panic. Plumbing repairs are both very common and frustrating. However, with most plumbing issues there are usually some warning signals.
Drains choke, faucets leak and we just ignore them till the point the drain gives up, gets completely choked and you are left standing in a pool of water while you are in the shower. Or the kitchen drain might clog with all the debris that gets collected in it. The one way to avoid all this frustration is to keep a watch on all these little problems and never ignore them in the first instance. You can also buy a set of basic plumbing tools and learn how to handle some simple plumbing repairs.
Take a look at the most common plumbing issues that you might come across:
• Dripping Faucets– this is a very common problem as the moving parts of faucets tend to get eroded and start leaking. Generally, replacing the O-ring helps and if that doesn’t, the entire unit will have to be replaced. The one way to avoid premature damage is to handle them with care
• Clogged Drains– Kitchen drains get clogged with food particles while hair and soap clog bathroom drains. Use extruders in the drains- that should keep most of the debris out and use drain cleaners on a regular basis.
• Leaky Pipes– this is a common problem but not one that you might be able to easily fix yourself. Pipes are generally concealed in walls and floorings in most homes and leaky pipes can cause extensive damage to the various areas in your house. If you see a persistent damp patch on a wall or ceiling, call for a plumber and have it checked.
• Running Toilets-This can be a very annoying plumbing problem that is generally accompanied by a low humming sound. The water from the flush keeps running into the tank even after it has been flushed. The ball, flapper or the chain in the flush tank may need to be replaced and a plumber can help you with that.
• Leaky Water Heaters– The one effective way of dealing with this problem is to replace them. The water tends to leak from the bottom of storage tanks and this is one thing that cannot be repaired.
Apart from these issues, broken boilers and furnaces or new faucet installation and leaking toilets are all plumbing issues that might arise in your home at some time or the other. Keep the number of a reliable plumber handy to handle those emergency plumbing problems.