Burst pipes can be a real plumbing emergency and lead to a lot of stress and financial trauma. A burst water pipe can potentially leak gallons of water into your home damaging furniture and other possessions as well as potentially damaging the building too. If you are to be unfortunate enough to have water pipes burst in your home then your best bet would be to pick up the phone and call an emergency plumber to come out and fix the problem. There are a few things you could do to improve the situation while you wait for a plumber to arrive, these are:
- If the pipe is leaking because you have inadvertently hammered a nail into whilst doing some DIY then it would be wise to leave the nail in the pipe as it will be plugging the hole something, removing the nail will only see more water come out of the pipe.
- Once you have located the leaking pipe find the water shut off valve and turn off the water supply. If you can not find the shut off valve for the affected area then shut off the water supply to the entire house. For this reason it is vitally important that anyone living in your house knows exactly where the water shut off valve is located so that they can react should a problem like this arise.
- After you have shut off the water supply then you will want to drain the system of the cold water, you can do this by turning on the cold water taps in the house until the water runs dry.
- The next thing you can do is turn off your water heater or central heating system and then run all of the warm water taps to drain the system of warm water too.
- Depending on where the water leak is located they may be a risk of water coming into contact with electrical appliances or outlets which would be a very dangerous situation. For this reason it would be a good idea to turn off the electricity supply at the mains to remove this risk until the leaked has been fixed.
- Once you have located the damaged section of water pipe and turned off the water supply to it then you can either try to fix the pipe yourself or, if you are not confident doing that, you can wait for your plumber to arrive and either repair or replace the damaged section of water piping.
Emergency plumbing situations can be extremely stressful but by hiring the right emergency plumber you can reduce this stress drastically and get your plumbing emergency sorted quickly and efficiently.